Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Granny Square Love

Earlier this year our family moved to a little town on the Downs and I suffered extreme homesickness for the friends and community I had left behind, I also didn't find my new town very friendly. Oh well, give it some time I thought. Fast forward 9 months and I went to visit the local drapery where the local craft group meet. I have shopped there on numerous occasions.

Me: Hello, I'd really like to join your quilting group.
Lady: No we're closed.
Me: Urm, the shop is closed?
Lady: No our group is closed, we have enough members.

I make it to my car before I start crying.

Oh well, maybe they just don't like the way I smell.
Yesterday I took little bear to his special class in Warwick, a much larger town half an hour away. To occupy myself I decided to visit a beautiful quilt shop on the main street. My browsing was interrupted by a pleasant, obligatory "Can I help you with anything?"

Me: No thanks, I'm just looking. [pause] Actually I'd really like to find someone who could give me a crochet lesson.
Lady: [pauses, looks at me for 2 seconds & then] Come with me.


I follow her into the room behind the shop where other women are busily crafting away. I am warmly introduced, given a lovely crochet lesson and included in conversation. I don't just leave with a gorgeous red & aqua granny square. I walk away feeling like I have been wrapped in a warm blanket, I feel loved.

I make it to my car before I start crying.
Y CateSunshine

p.s. If you're in Warwick perhaps you'd like to pop in and visit the lovely Warwick Patchwork & Quilting shop.
http://www.warwickpatch.com/




2 comments:

Unknown said...

They say everything happens for a reason. They also say that when one door closes another opens. Where there is a will, there is always a way. Always look on the bright side of life Sunshine Cate. x

Unknown said...

PS. Nice Granny square by the way! Your mother taught me to treble a few months ago. I will have ask her to show me how to do this next. x